Our latest Recipe of the Month is just in time for back to school. A hot meal with everything included to feed your family on a busy night. Ground beef in a rich gravy with sauteed vegetables topped with creamy mash potatoes.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
• 1.5 lbs lean ground beef
• 1 cup diced onion
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 3 large carrots, finely diced
• 1 cup dry red wine
• 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tsp tomato paste
• 4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
• 1 cup beef stock
• 3 tbsp all purpose (AP) flour
• 1 cup frozen peas
• 2 lbs russet potatoes
• 2 Tbsp butter
• 1/2 – 1 cup milk
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 black pepper
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• fresh thyme leaves
1. Chop your carrots, onions, and garlic.
2. Brown the ground beef broken up in a skillet. When it’s about halfway cooked add the chopped onions, cook a few minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and all seasonings. Add in the chopped carrots.
3. For gravy: add red wine, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, fresh thyme leaves, beef broth, and flour. Bring the sauce up to a boil then turn down to a simmer for a few minutes then turn off heat.
4. Boil peeled and cut potatoes in some salted water until tender (10-12 min) then drain and put back into the hot pot. Mash with warm milk, butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
5. Assembly: Add the frozen peas to the meat and stir gently and pour meat mixture into the bottom of casserole dish. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
6. Spread mashed potatoes over meat and add a little fresh thyme on top of the potatoes. Bake for 30 min until brown.